Limekilns is a beautiful quiet coastal village which sits on the north shore of the river Forth. It lies a little west of Rosyth and in viewing site of the Forth Road bridge. The village has two natural harbours at Limekilns and Brucehaven, from the 1300’s the older one was used as the port for Dunfermline. Early in the life of the village local limestone was used for farming improvements and for mortar for stone building. An industry quickly grew up using the kilns fuelled by coal to convert lime to quicklime then shipped to the rest of eastern Scotland. The ruins of the massive kilns still exist today which can be seen on a walk along the promenade to the harbour in the neighbouring village Charlestown.